August 03, 2006

Streaky

Chase Utley’s 34 game hitting streak has got sports fan dreaming of possibilities. Could he finally be the one that finally breaks Joe DiMaggio’s 56 game hitting streak. When you realize that Utley still has to get a hit for another 22 straight games just to tie it the impressiveness of DiMaggio’s streak really is apparent. The likelihood of Utley even coming close to breaking it is remote. All this streak talk has got me thinking about two of my favorite streaks of all time.

The Boston Bruins are Inept: It has been thirty four years since the Bruins have won the Stanley Cup. That is 34 four years of hockey bliss. Only once in my lifetime the Bruins have won the Cup Mercifully I was an infant at the time and have no recollection of it. What brings me even more joy is that current Boston management shows no signs of doing anything to break the streak. Harry Sinden, you rule!

The Boston Red Sox Endure 84 Years of Suck: Nothing in sports gave me more joy than this streak. Then finally it was ripped away from me when the Red Sox failed to choke away yet another World Series in 2003. I was devastated. However, I can still look back fondly on names like Bob Stanley and Bucky Dent and smile. When the name Bill Buckner is uttered I can’t help but snicker and think back to 1986. I take comfort in the fact that the Red Sox should not win again until 2087. Most people get to see Haley’s Comet more often than Red Sox World Series victories. That is a good thing.

The Red Sox Suck.


2 Comments:

Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Sinden stepped down today.
2004 was the greatest fall of my life, as much to watch the Yankees fall as to see the Sox come back and win. The greatest comeback ever.

3:14 PM  
Blogger The Silver Fox said...

It is a sad day. I was really enjoying how badly Sinden screwed up the Bruins. The fall of 2004 for was hell. Watching the Red Sox win was painful. Thankfully this year it looks like they are choking themselves right out of the playoffs.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home