July 17, 2006

Those Handle Bars are for Turning

On Friday my Wife walked out of IKEA after some shopping to find that the door on our SUV had been dinged. The jackass who did it decided not to leave a note and just drove off. People who do this are jerks, and probably drive Fords.

When the situation occurred to me in reverse on Saturday my anger blinders initially told me to be a jerk and get payback on the world. We were on a bike ride with my nieces and my four year old niece was not as skilled as handling her bike as we expected. As a result she ended up running into a parked min-van and scratching the paint. My niece survived the ordeal without a scratch. I thought about driving off for a moment but I decided that I didn’t want to show my son or nieces that being a jerk is acceptable behavior. Also I don’t drive a Ford. We found the owner and explained what happened. They were grateful that we didn’t run off. I will be paying to fix a door.

Later I told my niece’s mom what had happened. Her generally philosophy on living is one of the reasons I decided not to take the coward’s way out. Predictably she found the humor in her daughter crashing into a vehicle and made no offer to help pay for any repairs that may be upcoming.

There are a lot of jerks and fat, ignorant cows in this world. That does not make it acceptable to be one. Set some standards for yourself or we will and up with a world full of Courtney Love’s, Robert Downey Jrs or moms to my nieces.

Please excuse me while I go empty my rage cup.

2 Comments:

Blogger Penrick said...

I think it's great that you stopped and reported it. I'm surprised they want you to pay - but the mother should at least be involved. Her turn is coming!!

(Sorry about the comment accidentally in the Wie post, I hope you can delete it)

5:47 PM  
Blogger The Silver Fox said...

Thanks for the feedback. It actually turned out to be quite a deep scratch in the door.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home